This brilliant dish makes use of pears that are so abundant this time of year. Paired with salty gorgonzola and cooked with a pinch of festive spice, it makes for a flavourful dessert – or even a starter – for any meal.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 6 smallish pears, or larger ones halved
- 100g butter
- 75g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 250g gorgonzola
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4.
- Using a large ovenproof frying pan, heat the butter and sugar together until the butter has melted.
- Stir in the vanilla and spices then add the pears, turning them over so they are all coated in the sugar mixture.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook the pears for 30 minutes (turning them over in the syrup now and then), or until a knife can go through them easily.
- Allow to cool in the pan, then serve with the syrup and some gorgonzola.